Here are six steps of legwork you should take before heading to the Platte City-Airport Chrysler dealership to make your visit as productive as possible:
- 1. See what your financing will allow. Before you get your heart set on the newest Dodge Charger or Jeep Latitude, you need to have a clear idea of exactly how much you can afford. Are you paying in cash? If so, your limit of how much you can spend is pretty clear. Are you looking for financing? If so, what’s your down payment look like, and what kind of loan do you qualify for? You may want to ask our finance department and talk to your local bank before you start test driving cars.
- 2. Consider a newer used car. If the new car or truck your heart really desires is out of your price range, consider the same model, just a couple of years older. A used car that’s only two to three years old has already taken its biggest depreciation hit and yet is still in fairly new condition, which means that you can get those heated seats or extra tow package and still get a reliable vehicle.
- 3. Do your homework. Want to know if the dealership is giving you a fair price on a car? Look it up! Standard car sites like Edmunds and Kelley Blue Book allow you to price out the market rate on any vehicle based on its make, model, mileage and condition. Doing a little background work can make you feel and appear more confident when talking with a dealer.
- 4. Talk to your insurance company. Sometimes just as important as what kind of financing you can afford is what kind of insurance payments you can swing. New cars, cars purchased with financing options, and certain makes and models have higher insurance premiums. Call your insurance rep with a couple of car options and see what the monthly car insurance payment will look like, and if you can afford it.
- 5. Ask about associated fees. After you’ve checked your financing limit, your projected insurance payment, and whittled down your choice to a car or two, ask about associated fees of purchasing. You’ll need to know these to stay within your budget.
- 6. Check into offered warranties. Regardless of if you purchase a new car or a used, you may be offered a manufacturer’s warranty or extended warranty. Make sure you read through exactly what the terms of the warranty are, how much it will cost, and if you think you would be able to pay for repairs out of pocket should something go wrong without a warranty.
Besides purchasing a house, buying a new car or truck is one of the biggest purchases for Americans. Doing your homework can help you feel at peace with your decision when all is said and done, as can working with a reliable car dealership.
At Platte City-Airport Chrysler, our honest dealers can help those in the North Kansas City area find their next Dodge, Jeep or Chrysler in a pressure-free environment. Come visit us at 2605 Northwest Prairie View Road in Platte City, or talk to one of our friendly sales team members by calling (888) 602-9743.